Friday, October 13, 2006

Underwhelmed for Now...


The Apple arrived as scheduled on Wednesday evening. As you can see in the picture, my dog helped me tear the box open.


Initial thoughts: It is very nice looking. We've come to expect this out of all of Apple's products, manuals, and packaging. Very disappointed that Internet Explorer is the native browser. I was looking forward to seeing Safari. My wife managed to crash the computer within the first hour. For some reason, this G3 does not like Yahoo mail. Check out the hard crash message after I rebooted.

Overall, the Dashboard is in yellow for sure. If an upgrade to OSX Tiger doesn't yield some improved browsing experience, we're going to orange.

There better be some birthday treats at work today.

3 Comments:

At 10/16/2006 02:21:00 PM, Blogger Jammer said...

IE is the native browser? Are you running OS 9?

 
At 10/16/2006 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Jammer said...

Actually, yes, I can tell by the screen that's showing that you're on OS 9.

Imagine running Windows 95 on a 300 Mhz Pentium II. That's the era of computing you're in here. Now, when you install Tiger, imagine trying to install XP SP2 on that Pentium II.

Now, the iMac G3 should fare much better than that, and yes -- it will make a huge difference.

I ran across your blog from a comment on Will Shipley's blog from a friend of yours. If you need any Apple advice, feel free to ping me.

--James

 
At 10/17/2006 06:47:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for the comment.

Yes, I was running OS 9. I've heard that same comment about 0S9 and Windows 95. My only complaint was the fact that a 600MHz/256 RAM machine was sluggish running OS9. I've had Windows 95 machines with the same specs that didn't run as slow.

An interesting comment was made at work the other day - "a new operating system shouldn't make your machine run faster". Either that is not true or I'm dreaming that OS X is faster.

Next up is to test out some hardware modification. Baby steps first - upgrading the RAM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home