Friday, October 27, 2006

Swing and a miss!

Well this sucks. I've been waiting for almost a week to get some more RAM for the ol' iMac. It finally arrived today, and it seems that I may have purchased some RAM that is incompatible with my machine. That has never happened to me before, and I have upgraded my PC's many times. Granted, my research may have been inadequate. I looked up what kind of memory works with an iMac G3 600 MHz and found a site that guaranteed it would work. They also wanted about $90 for 512 MB. Ridiculous. That's more than half of what I paid for the entire computer. So I noted the specs, went back to the site that I purchased the Apple from, and purchased what I thought to be the same memory for 40 bucks less. I was all excited because it was really quick and easy to install (much faster than a PC - there's a little panel in back that pops open and provides easy access to the memory slots). But something's wrong. The System Profiler is telling me that slot 0 is empty. But it fits in the slot. It looks just like the stick of 256 that's in there. WTF???? Then I did another search and this is what I found on eBay:

"Only supports modules made with a specific type of chip". If that doesn't just sum up Apple right there than I don't know what does. Now I get to go through the joy of returning items through the mail. Sweet. Maybe I can even go to the Post Office. That's always fun. See what kind of new stamps they've come up with. Find out who's the latest addition to the Most Wanted list. Shit. My fault.

3 Comments:

At 10/29/2006 06:37:00 PM, Blogger kpfeif said...

F

 
At 10/30/2006 12:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to burst your bubble, but this doesn't 'sum Apple up'. Sounds like you were really lucky with your PCs. Prior to a few years ago I was an exclusive Windows user for over 10 years. Always built my own machines. Multiple machines in the house (file server, each kid with their own). Most of my friends do the same (buncha geeks). Many, many a time we have all had to make trips back to Fry's because one manufacturer's brand didn't work well with motherboard 'X'. Usually talked to the person at the return counter and they would say - yeah, this brand seldom works with that board. This brand hardly ever works with ASUS/etc... you need so and so...

Did you go through http://www.dealram.com? Their system matching always worked out well for me and the prices were usually pretty good. They show 512 for what I think is your system for as low as $59.

 
At 11/01/2006 07:21:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for the post.
Lucky with my PC's? Perhaps. But you have to admit that Apple does have a reputation of being finicky and difficult to upgrade/modify. I feel that I've gotten stung by that reputation, but maybe, just maybe, its a coincidence. I've already conceded that I didn't do enough research and that's as far as I'm going. ;-)
I checked dealram and they do have good prices, but the cheap stuff is PC100 and not PC133, which is what my current stick of 256 runs at. But I'm thinking that dropping the overall RAM speed down 33mHz is worth $30.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home